REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
SKILLS and JOBS PROJECT
Loan № 8490-KZ
Assignment Title: Selection of the Individual Consultant on labor market research in the Republic of Kazakhstan
Contract № KZSJ-2.1/IC-05
The Republic of Kazakhstan has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Jobs Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include:
An individual consultant (hereinafter - the Consultant) will act as an adviser to the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of the Population of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter
MLSPP or the Client) and will be responsible for the following tasks: -
Task 1. Analysis of the current labor market forecasting system in the Republic of Kazakhstan:
a. Comprehensive analysis of tools, methods, models and calculation algorithms used in forecasting the situation in the labor market in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
b. Comprehensive analysis of the availability and quality of input (used in the calculation) data used in forecasting the situation in the labor market in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
c. Comprehensive analysis of the results of forecasts (obtained on the basis of data calculations), as well as an analysis of the ways of their further use.
d. Assessment and summarize the shortcomings of the current labor market forecasting systems. current data and etc
e. Development of proposals for improving the current forecasting system, including but not limited to improvement of:
- tools, methods, models and calculation algorithms;
- input data;
- results of forecasts and ways of their further use;
- other in accordance with the wishes of the Client and the proposals of the Consultant.
Task 2. Analysis of the most effective labor forecasting systems of OECD countries and options of approaches to forecasting, optimal for use in the Republic of Kazakhstan, including their advantages and disadvantages.
a. Detailed review and description of tools, methods, models and calculation algorithms used in 5-6 OECD countries (hereinafter - Approaches) in forecasting supply and demand in the labor market (including but not limited to KEISIM Kawashima, MA / US).
b. A detailed review and description of the input data used in the calculation, and the results of the forecasts, including the ways of their further use (hereinafter - Data).
c. Comprehensive analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of each of the above approaches and the data required for their use.
d. Comparative analysis of the compliance of the above approaches to the ultimate goals of the forecasting system and applicability to the conditions of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
e. Development of proposals on the choice of approaches to forecasting, optimal for use in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
f. Joint choice of 2-3 optimal approaches based on the wishes of the Client and the proposals of the Consultant in consultation with the World Bank.
Task 3. Formation of an action plan (road map) aimed at building an effective system for forecasting the situation in the labor market in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
a. Development of an overall strategy for building an effective system for forecasting the situation in the labor market in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
b. Development of detailed action plans (road maps detailing the strategy) for the implementation of each of the optimal approaches jointly selected by the Client and the Consultant in accordance with the following conditions:
- The format of detailed plans should include, but not be limited to, step-by-step activities with an indication of the sequence of implementation, the expected implementation time, the final results, the recommended executors (in the event that the activities / work will not be carried out by the Client or his representative), the necessary resources.
- The content of detailed plans should include, but not be limited to, step-by-step activities for developing and (or) adapting selected approaches (tools, methods, models and calculation algorithms), improving accessibility and quality of input data, enhancing the Client's potential, necessary training and (or) advanced training on cooperation with partner organizations (institutes of OECD countries, specializing in forecasting in accordance with selected approaches, other organizations).
- In general, detailed action plans (road maps) should be comprehensive, necessary and sufficient for the subsequent successful implementation and implementation of an effective system for forecasting the situation in the labor market in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- consultant should include information on the institutional entities that would be involved in labor forecasting efforts (and their specific roles, responsibilities, and accountability indicators) as well as the financial and staffing costs associated with the launch and/or maintenance of a new/revamped labor forecasting system.
c. Providing other information necessary for successful implementation of action plans, including, but not limited to, lists and descriptions of partner organizations, training providers.
The consultant should provide the following outputs to the Project Management Unit (hereinafter - PMU), coordinated with the MLSPP of the Republic of Kazakhstan and JSC "Workforce Development Center” (hereinafter - WDCWDC).
If there are any comments on the outputs of the Consultant from the PMU, as well as the MLSPP of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the WDC, or World Bank, at the approval stage, the Consultant completes the output within 5 working days.
The consultant will present the final outputs based on the results of each task at the meeting with the participation of PMU, MLSPP of the Republic of Kazakhstan, WDC unless the parties have agreed on the absence of such necessity. The World Bank team will be consulted on the final outputs as well.
The implementation of the Terms of Reference begins with the effective date of the signed contract between the MLSPP and the Consultant.
The contract is expected to be implemented within 35 weeks (to 35 weeks if there are comments and need for presentation), unless otherwise agreed by both Parties in writing.
Part of the activities of the Consultant on the implementation of the Terms of Reference will be carried out in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan (mainly within the framework of Task 1), part – remotely. At the same time, the Consultant must necessarily arrive with a weekly mission to Kazakhstan after signing the contract within the framework of Task 1 and upon completion of the Terms of Reference and, if necessary, to present the output in the course of the Terms of Reference. The terms of the trip will be preliminary agreed with the head of the PMU, the Client or his representative.
The Selection of Individual Consultants will be held within the procedures presented in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011, revised July 2014).
The selection criteria are:
Master’s Degree in Economics (Macroeconomics, Applied Macroeconomics), PhD in economics is preferred.
• Ten years of experience in labor market and labor research.
• Three years of work in organizations in the field of labor market analysis and research as a developer in projects to develop macroeconomic models and forecasting labor market demand and supply.
• Demonstrated experience in conducting labor market analysis (publications or projects preferably) using econometric methods of evaluation.
• Effective oral and written communication in English, fluency in Russian is an advantage.
• Work experience in the field of analysis and preparation of analytical materials.
• Ability to work well in a team and several tasks in different domains / sectors.
• Ability to work independently, actively, and at the same time be able to create effective working relationships.
Cover letter should include the subject line: CV for Consultant on labor market research.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 09.00 to 18.00 hours, Astana time.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by September 14, 2017.
Skills and Jobs Project Management Unit (PMU)
Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Kazakhstan
29 Syganak Str., Office # 1507, 010000 Astana, Kazakhstan
Tel. : +7 7172 248566, 248523